CHICAGO,IL—Betsy shows WGN's Larry Potash and Paul Konrad how to spice up their Valentine's Day with red velvet cupcakes. Now, you can try Betsy's Homemade Red Velvet recipe at home for your sweetheart.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups powdered sugar
Tips for making your cake extra special:
- Make it just for 2
- Bake it in a dish you already have at home…i.e. small mixing bowls, french onion soup bowls, cupcake tins
- Serve it warm, and frost it just before you eat it. Warm is always sexier.
- Drizzle the frosting instead of spreading it on. A Ziploc bag works great. Or microwave it for 15 seconds to make it easier to drizzle on.
- Don’t skimp on the mixing…the key is to break the sugar down as you beat it.
- All cocoas are not alike. This recipe can use either unsweetened cocoa (American process) or Dutch processed cocoa, but I prefer the American processed cocoa. It has a more intense taste and it’s good for baking.
- A baking pan needs to be sprayed well before baking, but doesn’t need flouring.